Blogger Widgets

Tuesday 2 April 2013

Cooked Long Beans With Rice ( 豆角饭 )

Usually I prefer to cook ONE POT dish because it is easy (but some one pot dish needs some long list of preparation).

Well, I do admit that sometimes I can be lazy to cook for a set of meal of 3 dishes; because you need to stand for hours preparing the ingredients, cooking, clean up etc and lately with this kind of hot weather makes you feel more lazier!  

Whenever I finished cooking for all the three dishes and by the time ready for dinner, I always tend to eat little. hmm...probably already so "full up" cooking and inhaling all the fragrant and aroma inside me!  I understand well now, previously when my mum cooked all the dishes, she will eat teeny weeny only and all of us the children feel why our mum so painstakingly cooked for us and she is so scrimp of dishing up the delicious food into her plate!


So once in awhile being as the chef at home, so it is alright to just cook one pot dish and hope no one is complaining and muttering  out "Ah, only one dish?"  Well, at least I have a soup to go with it.

Herewith, one pot dish "Cooked Long Beans With Rice" 

  

COOKED LONG BEANS WITH RICE  (豆角饭 )
(serves for 4-5 person)

Ingredients A
3 cups raw Rice
1 tsp olive oil
550ml water

Ingredients B
3 tbsp oil
4 shallots  (peeled, washed & sliced)
3cm ginger (scraped, washed & chopped)
2 ½ tbsp dried shrimps  (washed, soaked till soft, drained)
150g pork belly or Roast Pork (I used roast pork)
1 pair Chinese sausage  (washed with hot water, drained, remove skin, sliced in slant)
12 long beans  (washed, cut into 1 inch length)

Frying Rice Seasonings
3 cloves garlic (peeled, washed, chopped)
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce

Seasonings
1 tbsp Shao-Xing Wine
½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp pepper
a dash of sesame oil


Preparation and Method

1.  Rinse and soak rice in water for 30mins, drained and mix thoroughly with olive oil, set
      aside.

2. (If using pork belly)
     Boil pork belly for about 5 minutes, rinse, drain and cut into shred.  Heat the work
     Without oil and fry the pork till brown, the pork will release some oil during stir frying.

     (If using roasted pork)
 Heat up wok, add a tbsp oil and add in roasted pork, give it a quick toss under high
 heat. The pork will release some oil during stir frying. (You may add little light soy sauce and 
 sugar for more added flavour). Once it turn brownish, dish up and set aside.

3. Heat 3 tbsp of oil (Ingredients B) in wok, stir fry shallots till golden brown, add ginger
     and fry till fragrant follow by dried prawns, fried roast pork, sausage, long beans and
     sizzle in Shao-Xing wine, stir fry for a moment, then add Seasonings and stir well. 
     Dish out and put aside.

4. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok, fry garlic till fragrant, reduce to low heat, sizzle in 1 tbsp of
     light soy sauce, add rice, dark soy sauce and oyster sauce (In Frying Rice Seasonings)
     and fry evenly at high heat.  Turn off the flame.

5.  Transfer fried rice and add 550g water into rice cooker. Switch on and cook for about
      13 to 15 minutes until boiling, when water almost dried up, pour fried long beans
      mixture over it, cover with lid and continue to cook until the rice cooker automatically
      shut off.  Simmer for 5 minutes more.  Stir well and serve. 


Pour in the fried long beans once the water in the rice cooker dries up and continue to cook.


                                        Fluff and stir/mix well together before serve.


This long beans rice is full of fragrant of the chinese sausage and roast pork!  
I think my long beans are a little too cooked; simmer too long in the rice cooker resulted too soft and over cooked; blame me that I went for a long shower. :-)




20 comments:

  1. Mel, my mum used to cook this in the rice cooker with chicken. You know ah, the long beans here aren't as green as the type in Malaysia. We call it snake beans & they are old, wrinkled & very rarely, we find nice green-looking long beans, so I normally used a different type of beans. This looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, looks so delicious! I also like one dish meals. Very practical. After cooking can go and watch TV hee..heee..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to cook this for dinner too, because it is simple to cook yet yummy to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mel,
    I have not cooked this for ages! I love it, simple and delicious! One pot meal is always a favourite! Your long bean rice looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love one dish meal like yours. Just throw everything inside and no need to scratch my head what other dishes to add on the table :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. this maybe a one-pot or one-dish meal.. but there's sure a lot of preparation in making it! so whoever complains ought to be shot ;p! this one-pot dish looks delicious, mel! i'm drooling over the here even though i've just had dinner (fried rice, again! ^^||).. i'd like to make this one day, thanks! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mel! This dish reminds me of another dish with long beans and pork - 乱棍打死猪八戒。:D

    A very yummy one-dish meal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i definately love the siu yook in the long bean rice. this kind of weather, dont feel like cooking at all..so hot and stuffy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up eating a lot of this rice dish. My mom used to work so this is the easiest meal for her to prepare. I still like it a lot and even my husband likes it too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mel I like this very much. Yours got lap cheong in it..sure very nice. That day I cook one pot, at first my husband resist but then after he tried the rice he couldn't resist any more heehee

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know this is yummy as my mother in law used to cook this a lot! She must be lazy very often huh! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of our family favorites, one which my Ah Mah used to make for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like to fry rice with long beans too! It is indeed healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mel. I love all-in-one rice dishes like this because they are not only convenient but really tasty, too. That looks so delicious. Love Chinese sausages.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I have quite long did not cook this one dish meal, that means I very hard working cook up 3 dishes , hahaha..
    Your version have lap cheong , sound very good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hehe some days I also like one pot dish.. like chicken rice. Easy and nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome recipe that I LOVE! Yes, I LOVE one dish meal as I'm always running like a headless chicken all day! LOL Joke apart, this is truly my kind of dish! Thanks for sharing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks yummy. I also feel the same, after cooking all day in the kitchen, and smelling the food and tasting it so many times, I have no appetite left to eat! As long as others enjoy it, I'm quite happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mel, I love one pot meal too.
    My mil use to cook this once a week...:p
    Love your version you have got Siew Yok added.
    Yum yum!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mel, your one pot meal look so delicious and convenient. No need wash so many plates too. :) I have not eaten this for a long time cos my children don't like.

    Have a nice day ahead.

    ReplyDelete